My last day before becoming Wsbirthmom

Hello everyone….I have been tossing around this whole ‘blogging’ thing…and just didn’t think that I knew how to write until I started a journal….and now, here I am I’m blogging.  I am in such a different situation than most other women (at least that I have found) that have placed children for adoption.  Hopefully, this will help me find others who either I can help, or who can help me when I need it – and Lord knows, there are many days when I need the help, but have no one to ask….

So, welcome to my blog.  I guess I’ll start at my beginning of living as a ‘birthmom’.  A title, scenario, and experience I knew absolutely nothing about, nor ever thought I ever would.

10 weeks ago today, March 5th, 2011 at 6pm, I relinquished my parental rights to my son.

I had spent the last night with my son, just him and I.  I talked to him, sang to him and told him I loved him so very much.  I didn’t sleep, I watched him sleep, and cried…and cried…and cried some more.  My eyes looked as if I’d been in a boxing match, swollen from the tears that woudn’t stop falling no matter how hard I tried.  I hadn’t shed a tear up until this point….well, that I let anyone see.

I have never been one to display my emotions to anyone, I internalize.  But that day……the hours leading up to ‘the signing’……it didn’t matter who walked through that hospital room door.  As soon as they made eye contact with me, they knew they were in the presence of a woman who was not in any sort of control of her emotions.  I burst into tears whether it was a nurse, doctor or someone who was merely delivering the meal I had ordered.  They got it full force.  Through my uncontrolable sobs, I attempted to apologize profusely, and some acknowledged my emotional state and attempted to say kind words of comfort (mainly the nurses).  Others didn’t say anything (the person delivering my meal who just wanted to drop the tray get the heck outta there without making eye contact) and the ‘baby Doctor’ who came in and just started talking to me to ensure I would relay a message to the adoptive parents about when they were supposed to bring him in to his office before leaving town.  Then, there was the Doctor from the practice that I had my OB care from, who 2 days prior while checking in on me asked how I was doing.  I told her I was doing OK, and she made the extremely cold, uncaring, unemotional, thoughtless but still very realistic comment in front of D, ‘Well, the tough days are coming.’   This visit she made, it was just her and I in the room, and I’d like to think that I got her to understand (in as much as you can get someone to understand in a 10 minute visit why you were making a life altering decision to let others raise your child you created and carried for the last 39 weeks).  She heard me out and had tears in her eyes near the end of my explanation, so because of the tears, I’m letting myself believe that she heard me. 

After I completed all my paperwork, the Aparents had to do theirs.  It was another hour and a half I got to spend with my son in my arms…  I remember after I had finished signing my paperwork, I walked back into my room and I had to go and sit in the bathroom as I had started bleeding profusely….(I hadn’t even had to wear a pad after the c-section up until this point).  I believe this was my body reacting to the trauma my heart was going through right then.

A nurse who was in the delivery room happened to come up to L&D.  She didn’t know I was checking out and was happy to see us.  She sat with my sister and I, and just said the most kind words.  I explained my situation to her prior to delivery, I just wanted people to hear me out and understand the complete frustration, feelings of being overwhelmed and alone, already raising one child without a father (and I still do).   She was so supportive, and wonderful.  She really understood that this was the most difficult decision I’ve ever had to make in my life, and I hated being in a position to have to make it, but felt it was what was best for my little boy.  I want people to know that I am a good mom, who loves her children and who only wants the best for them, and will do whatever it takes to get it for them – like finding 2 parents for him, when I am only 1.

Then, all the paperwork was done….it was time to leave.  I remember this time being so ‘dark’.  Not only because the sun had gone down and this point, and we hadn’t turned on any lights in the room while visiting and waiting for them to finish up their paperwork, it was emotionally dark…  I remember D (Amom) walking back into the room and seeing her through the slightly open bathroom door giving an emphatic fist pump.  I remember feeling like she was punching me in the stomach with that gesture.  I know that definitely was not her intention, and she didn’t know I could see her.  It was the 7 years of waiting to be a mother that she was celebrating, but I will never forget it.  It was a terrible feeling, it was a celebration of her wait being ‘final’.  I remember getting a feeling of being left behind.  We hugged, but I felt she wasn’t really in it – she was so happy (I remember thinking ‘giddy’, she’s actually giddy) about being able to leave with her newborn son, and to get as far away from me as possible.  All the focus had shifted – and believe me – not with any intention – but I truly felt it.

We gathered our things, and I sat in the wheelchair and they placed him in my arms.  This was the first time I held him as ‘theirs’.  The ride out of the hospital was a blur.  I just remember D being giddy, and I think I even remarked to her that she was.  She was videotaping ‘the event’.  When we got to the outside of the hospital, the cars were already there.  I handed him to her, and we hugged with him in between us.  I cried, and as she took him to H (Adad) I just stood there, looking at them strapping him in the carseat trying to see just one last glimpse of the little boy I was letting go.  But I couldn’t, all the nurses were checking the straps etc….  I didn’t want to leave, I just stood there and waited until they were all ready to go.  I then reluctantly walked to my car and got in the passenger seat.  My sister started driving away and all I could do was look in the mirror, to see their vehicle, but they didn’t follow….and we didn’t wait.

It was done….and my life as a ‘birthmom’ had begun.


About Wsbirthmom

I was a single mom to my elementary aged daughter and in 2011 I became a mother of unnecessary infant adoption loss. No matter how trapped, hopeless, frustrated and overwhelmed I felt before placing my son, all those feelings combined are no comparison to the grief and the loss of him we have felt post-placement. And no one, and nothing could have prepared me for it. I have been forever changed. The old me is gone, dead really, and so is the old life - something no one ever mentioned would happen. This will affect many generations to come, this and so many more adoption truths were never mentioned to me. So many things that could have been disclosed to me that would have allowed me to make a 'fully informed' decision, were kept from me by the agency - Gladney. The things I've learned about the billion dollar adoption industry since losing my son, have opened my eyes to the ever so clever persuasive coercive tactics used by many adoption agencies and attorneys, which I have experienced first hand and didn't even know it was happening, until it was too late. If you need a password for a protected post, please email me at wsbirthmom at g mail dot com. I've been personally cyber stalked and attacked by women who have adopted who I have never met, in an attempt to ruin my children's chance of knowing each other, and they've succeeded along with many other factors. Let's just say, it's been quite a 'ride' - but the ride has taken a hard left turn. I will keep telling my and other natural mothers & sharing adult adoptee's truths of their adoption experiences until the laws are changed and made 'fair' to natural families or until the day I take my last breath here on this earth. I started reaching out to pregnant mothers in crisis who were looking for adoption information. I began helping mothers see that their situations are so temporary and adoption, is a permanent solution - and usually always unnecessary. I've started a grass roots organization called Saving Our Sisters. It is comprised of adopted persons, mothers of adoption loss and even adoptive parents who believe that family preservation should always be the first focus, and that separation by adoption should always be a last last resort. We are PRO #familypreservation, PRO mother and child. If you would like to find us on Facebook, here is the address:
This entry was posted in Relinquishment and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to My last day before becoming Wsbirthmom

  1. s&dmom says:

    Wow….iam a amom and ill tell you what my birthmom went through something very similar….we are doing an open adoption and she had a 5 yr old son at the time our daughter was born. About 8 months after our daughter was born she also brought herr son to us…..she wanted the best for both. One of the most selfless acts on yalls behalf. I could tell you sooooo much more but our story is so long. I really appreciate your blogs because it sheds light on how y’all feel or what we put y’all through. You are a blessing.

  2. Laura says:

    Your blog braught me to tears. You are an amazing writer and an incredibly strong person. I really appreciate you’re sharing your story. As adoptive parents to our 2 year old son it is important that we understand his birth parents perspective. We are hoping to adopt again and truly know what an amazing gift adoption is. I hope you continue to write and heal. God bless.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s